Saturday, November 17, 2007

Harrassment or adoration?

Dear Irongoddess,

I recently went to a government office to renew my driver's license and while waiting for my turn, I noticed a man glancing at me. Then after I finished doing what I needed to get done, I walked out of the office and there the man was. "Excuse me", he said. I ignored him and continued walking out of the building complex but he followed me and kept addressing me, even offering me a lift. I told him I was in a rush, didn't have time to talk and that I didn't need a lift, but he continued after me.

Obviously, I was not interested as I evidently rushed off, not even bothering to look at him. My question ... why do men do this sort of thing? Can't they just respect rejection?

Jane, a little teed-off

*********************************************
Dear Jane,

First of all, just be thankful that he didn't follow you out to your car or wherever you were headed (well, at least I hope he didn't). Just realise that men like that just don't understand NO. Perhaps this has something to do with the old caveman attitude of pulling a woman into his cave by her hair. And just remember also, that possibly at some point, this man's overt attitude of hitting on a woman may have actually worked for him in the past. This bad behaviour may have actually been reinforced by some woman's positive reaction.

I say, just let it go, you weren't hurt. There is a strange upside in this though ... you're a hot woman whom men oogle over ... and there are many lonely woman out there who would love to have an ounce of the attention that you just received.

Next time though, when addressed undesirably, don't say a word and just ignore him. Your reacting at all opened a door for communication. Let's just hope that you will never be placed in a situation that you will have to scream and run away.

The Irongoddess

No comments:


"If you lose your way, I will help you find it."