Monday, July 21, 2008

The Facebook Break-Up

On the popular social networking platform Facebook, we can indicate "relationship status" and have several choices:

Single
In a relationship
Engaged
Married
It's complicated
In an open relationship

Changes of relationship status are indicated by whole or broken hearts and listed on the "mini-feed". Do these status updates and red hearts mean anything? And what does the Facebook public think about these?

I was recently engaged to Nestor D. Dinosaur and received an e-mail via Facebook congratulating me on said event, though my friend also asked if this could be a joke (because of the name). No ... no joke ... but I'm surprised my friend's excitement didn't cause her to click on the link to see the handsome red and green face of my future husband.

Nestor and I have since parted ways amicably, but I see that he is not quite yet over me, as he is still listed as "Engaged". (Nestor: That's alright ... I will ALWAYS love you ...)

I have a friend who recently listed himself as married ... to his own brother. I wonder if anyone noticed that one? I've also seen this same friend engaged, married, and broken up all in the same day.

Another friend, totally enthralled with her new relationship, happily decided to announce their "love" through Facebook ... This new couple then listed themselves as "In a relationship" until one day, after a particular lover's spat, she discovered he'd changed his relationship status and in fact, no longer even had one.

Boyfriend: "Yes, we're still dating but I don't want certain people on Facebook to know."

Hmm, interesting ... Not comfortable with this new turn of events and his recent treatment of her, she called me up for some "girl talk".

Irongoddess: But have you talked to him about how you feel?

Girlfriend: No, he's been avoiding me and I'm sick of it. I've given him lots of time and space to be in his cave and I don't want to be here when he comes out. Look at my Facebook status.

"SINGLE"

Irongoddess: "Oh my gosh, does he know?"

Girlfriend: "No, I can't be bothered having THE TALK."

Bing! And there you have it, folks, the Facebook Break-Up!

Personally, I'd love to be in a relationship with Bamsen Bacchus, a super cute Swedish bear. Recently, I saw him listed as "In an open relationship". I wondered if Facebook would allow more than one linking to those in an open relationship and thought about asking him out, but dang, Bamsen's status recently changed to "It's complicated".


Sigh ... I guess Bamsen and I are not yet meant to be ... but I'll keep watching my Facebook and hope that one day I'll see a broken little red heart in my news with the words:

"Bamsen Bacchus is no longer in a relationship."

4 comments:

Max said...

This just more or less happen to me, the brake up was basically in progress, but there was not really that much talking going on, kind of the problem in the first place. Wanted to talk about stuff a lot but seldom actually did - was woken by the now ex coming to get some stuff from my apt, then after the awkward departure i sat down and booted up my laptop to be greeted with 'your single' notice and that cute little broken hart logo, very helpful. Just in case i might miss what that means.

Thinks that settles it, i pretty much think I'll leave that blank from now on. :P

Anonymous said...

They have removed me from Facebook.
And they have not told me why.
That is not a nice thing to do to a teddybear.

Silly Sally said...

Bamsen ... I looked for you the other day to check out your FB status and I couldn't find you. I was sad ... did you try re-registering? Let me know when you become "available" ... xoxo

Silly Sally said...

Max, funny you should write that comment. I was telling my friend about this specific phenomenon, the FB break-up and it had happened to him too ... Logged on to find out his girlfriend was "single".


"If you lose your way, I will help you find it."