Sunday, December 7, 2008

The reality of Google

Ever wonder whatever happened to that best friend you had in high school? Well, I recently found her via Google. Yay! Still looking for other good friends with whom I've lost touch, but will keep typing their names from time to time into that wonderful little Google search bar.

For the curious or the procrastinator, Google is a Godsend ... what ever happened to so-and-so? We can waste hours playing this game ... instant updates on moments of their lives.

When it comes to dating, it's always interesting to know more about your "date" than he/she may let on. But one thing for sure, if you're using this search tool, DO NOT let your date know ... feign ignorance, as if you've never read these things about him/her. I remember a certain date possibility talking to me over the phone before we had our first coffee together and he knew TOO MUCH about me ... Yuck! One of those horrible stalker moments that most people never want to experience.

Then of course, there are those who lie about who they are, and of course, being the internet saavy geek that I am, of course, I find out. Gotcha! Athletes who tell me they've ran certain races ... all fine and dandy until I find out yes, he's raced, but no, it was two age categories higher! How about the doctor who must have graduated from his specialty when he was only 17, according to his posted online profile? I always thought Doogie Howser, MD, was a fictional television character. Boy, that man's got smarts!

But then there are those that you can't find anywhere on Google ... so, what does that mean? Is this guy too vanilla for me, too much of a plain Joe-type?

What do you think, folks ... Is internet notoriety a good or bad thing?

No comments:


"If you lose your way, I will help you find it."